8 Best Which Canary Island to visit 2022
The Canary Islands, a Spanish archipelago off the coast of northwestern Africa, are rugged volcanic isles known for their black- and white-sand beaches. Tenerife, the largest island, is dominated by the sometimes-snowy active volcano Mt. Teide, which has its own astronomical observatory and is part of Teide National Park. Tenerife hosts a huge pre-Lent Carnival in the capital, Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
- Area: 2,893 mi²
- Population: 2.207 million (2019) Eurostat
- Capitals: Municipality of Las Palmas, Santa Cruz de Tenerife
- Colleges and Universities: Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, MORE
- Clubs and Teams: UD Las Palmas, Herbalife Gran Canaria, MORE
Which Canary Island to visit? The best of the 8 Canary Islands
Fuerteventura, Tenerife, Gran Canaria, La Palma, El Hierro, La Gomera, Lanzarote and La Graciosa. Which Canary Island is better, and is it worth visiting? The answer is clear: all of them! Therefore, here is a summary with the best of each.
[amazon bestseller=”Canary Islands” item=”5″ template=”table”]
It has been many years planning each getaway with the same enthusiasm as the first time I set foot in the Canary Islands more than two decades ago. Many years are daydreaming about what I would find on each new island. Mountains, volcanoes, beaches, forests, deserts, natural pools, charming villages, colonial architecture, and do we need to continue? Of course. After knowing all the islands that make up the archipelago, I am to solve a great dilemma for you. Which Canary Island to visit? A tour of the best of each of the eight inhabited Canary Islands.
Which Canary Island to visit? The landscapes of El Hierro are an excellent option.
I think many explanations are unnecessary, but let’s contextualize a bit. It is an archipelago located off the northwest coast of Africa, made up of 8 inhabited islands and several smaller islets. None resembles another. Therein lies its actual value. The incredible geological and landscape diversity they offer us.
- 1 Which Canary Island to visit? the best of each
- 1.1 » Tenerife, the roof of Spain
- 1.2 » Gran Canaria, a tremendous miniature continent
- 1.3 » Lanzarote, the island of volcanoes
- 1.4 » La Graciosa, a little piece of paradise
- 1.5 » La Gomera and its fantasy forests
- 1.6 » La Palma: volcanoes and stars
- 1.7 » El Hierro, a jewel yet to be discovered
- 1.8 » Fuerteventura, the island with heavenly beaches
- 2 When is the best time to visit the Canary Islands?
Which Canary Island to visit? the best of each
Let’s go there. It is a small summary of the strengths of each island. What type of landscape characterizes them and the main tourist attractions to decide which will be your next destination in the Canary Islands. As always, remember that this text is based on my personal experience.
TRAVEL INSURANCE ALSO FOR THE CANARY ISLANDS
The coronavirus crisis has turned everything upside down and, now more than ever (especially when you have to catch a plane), it is super important to travel with insurance that allows us to recover the money if we have to cancel the trip, cover expenses of a possible quarantine and more coverage that becomes essential if something happens.
In this sense, I recommend the Iati Escapadas policy from the Iati Seguros company because it is super complete and super cheap for trips within Spain (it costs about 50 cents per day). I also have an additional 5% discount for taking out the insurance from this link.
»Tenerife, the roof of Spain
It is the largest island in the archipelago, the most populated, the one that receives the most tourists throughout the year, and the roof of Spain. From the impressive volcanic beaches of the north and the golden beaches of the south to the highest point in the country, the Teide peak with 3,718 meters of height.
Sunset on Mount Teide.
But Tenerife is much more than its beaches and the magnificent volcanoes of the Teide National Park. It is told to you by a person who has visited it three times. On this island, we can dream of incredible Laurisilva forests in the Anaga Rural Park, also with lunar landscapes in Punta del Teno, we can even enter a 27,000-year-old volcanic tube in the Cueva del Viento, hallucinate with the Cliffs of the Giants, admire the colonial architecture of La Laguna and a long etcetera.
In short, Tenerife is a good destination for those who want sun and sand, also for lovers of nature and hiking. The diversity of landscapes and plans to do on this island is brutal.
[amazon bestseller=”Canary Island to visit” item=”5″ template=”table”]
👍WHAT I LIKE MOST ABOUT TENERIFE
- The Teide. I do not doubt it. This national park, the most visited in Europe, is already more than enough reason by itself to organize a trip to Tenerife.
- Laurisilva forests and incredible beaches in Anaga.
- Dolphins and whales in freedom are very close to the coast of Tenerife.
- Charming cities and towns. Here it is worth mentioning the beautiful town of San Cristobal de la Laguna and the small towns of Garachico, Icod de Los Vinos, and Candelaria.
- Impressive wild beaches such as Benijo beach, El Bollullo or La Tejita.
👎 WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT TENERIFE
- It tourist overcrowding of the south. enjoying better temperatures and a guaranteed beach practically all year round, the southern area of Tenerife is usually crowded with housing estates. Terrible hotel macro-complexes and many tourists, especially English, and Germans. I am referring mainly to the towns of Los Cristianos, Playa de las Américas or Costa Adeje, among others.
DISCOVER WITH ME THE BEST OF TENERIFE
- What to do and what to see in Tenerife in a week
- What to see in El Teide, the best viewpoints
- How to climb Mount Teide on foot or by cable car
- The ten best beaches in Tenerife
»Gran Canaria, a tremendous small continent
Incredible as it may seem, it was the last one I’ve had the pleasure of meeting. And we are talking about the second in the ranking of islands that receive the most significant number of tourists, behind Tenerife. However, year after year, there was something that threw me back. Prejudices are there for that, to be knocked down. I found myself in a wild inland Gran Canaria, full of landscapes from another planet, charming little towns, a beautiful capital, and a little piece of coast that is still untouched and wild.
The impressive Dunes of Maspalomas.
Gran Canaria is very famous for its kilometer-long beaches of golden sand in the south, also for the Dunes of Maspalomas resting next to the ocean, for conserving numerous well-preserved sets of Canarian architecture, and for some peaks that offer incredible viewpoints. It is difficult to beat the sunsets from Pico de las Nieves with the silhouette of Roque Nublo drawn on the horizon. However, what Gran Canaria keeps a secret seems even more important to me, an island full of pleasant surprises. And that has to be discovered in person.
In short, Gran Canaria is a beautiful destination for those who go in search of sun and beach, for the most urbanites, and also ideal for lovers of road trips and panoramic roads.
👍WHAT I LIKE MOST ABOUT GRAN CANARIA
- Las Palmas de Gran Canaria’s capital has a spectacular historic center and one of the most impressive urban beaches. I have been lucky enough to visit Las Canteras beach.
- The incredible number of pretty towns. Among them, Teror, jeda, Fataga, Arugas and Firgas stand out.
- The Dunes of Maspalomas are, without a doubt, one of the most impressive landscapes of all the Canary Islands.
- The mountainous interior of the island. Gran Canaria is an actual box of surprises, and the island’s interior hides a good part of them.
- The wild beaches and pools of crystal clear waters in the north and northwest of the island, such as the incredible Güi Güi beach.
👎 WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT GRAN CANARIA
- The tourist overcrowding of the south. The same thing happens to me as in Tenerife. The south is dotted with kilometric beaches of golden sand and horrible urban aberrations—a real pity.
- The distances are great, and the roads in the interior are pretty bad. If you want to cover the entire island and spend the night at the same point, you will have to pay a lot of time in the car.
DISCOVER WITH ME THE BEST OF GRAN CANARIA
- What to see in Gran Canaria in 7 days
- The ten best beaches in Gran Canaria
- How to get to Güi Güi beach, the wild paradise of Gran Canaria
»Lanzarote, the island of volcanoes
We continue in descending order. We will know the third most visited of the archipelago—and island, Lanzarote, marked by continuous volcanic eruptions throughout its history. The last ones occurred during the 18th and 19th centuries and celebrated the orography of the Timanfaya National Park today. A sea of solidified lava as far as the eye can see, dark tones and purity that seems unreal. Without a doubt, it is the closest you will get to walking on the moon.
The Charco de los Clicos in Lanzarote.
Those black, reddish, and ocher tones merge with an ocean, sometimes angry, sometimes calm, to offer us images of great contrasts. In Lanzarote, you can look into a volcanic crater thousands of years old. You can also swim in beaches and natural pools with crystal clear waters, enjoy rugged and wild coastal landscapes, walk through the bowels of a volcanic tube and the white alleys of Teguise or admire the architectural works of César Manrique, a great artist from Lanzarote.
In short, if you want to discover the most spectacular volcanic landscapes of all the Canary Islands and also enjoy beautiful beaches with crystal clear waters, Lanzarote is your island.
👍WHAT I LIKE MOST ABOUT LANZAROTE
- The Timanfaya National Park is brutal. The volcanic landscapes of Lanzarote cannot be compared to those of any Canary Islands.
- Charco de los Clicos beach and its color contrast .
- The impressive beaches of Punta del Papagayo, also the kilometer-long Famara beach or the wild Risco beach.
- The architectural footprint of César Manrique in the Jameos del Agua, the Mirador del Río or the Cactus Garden.
- It is located just 30 minutes by boat from the island of La Graciosa.
👎 WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT LANZAROTE
- Its main tourist attractions are paid, such as the circuit through the Timanfaya National Park, the Cueva de Los Verdes, the Mirador del Río, the Jameos del Agua, or access to the beaches of Punta del Papagayo.
DISCOVER WITH ME THE BEST OF LANZAROTE
- What to do and what to see in Lanzarote, my favorite places
- The route through Lanzarote in 3 days, the entire island
- Punta del Papagayo, the best beaches in Lanzarote
- Excursion to Fuerteventura from Lanzarote for 1 or 2 days
»La Graciosa, a little piece of paradise
I told you a moment ago. One of the strengths of Lanzarote is that the smallest island among the inhabited islands of the Canary Islands is just a few minutes by boat. The eighth island, La Graciosa. Perhaps the most exotic of them all.
Sand streets in Caleta de Sebo.
If you haven’t heard much about La Graciosa, it’s because it is the best-kept secret of the lucky islands. We are in front of the Chinijo Archipelago Natural Park. A group comprises three major islands (only one inhabited) and tiny islets that make up the largest marine reserve in Europe. Almost nothing!
To access La Graciosa, you can choose to hire an organized excursion or reserve your place on the daily ferries that leave from the port of Órzola, in the north of Lanzarote. If you have enough time available, the best thing you can do is spend a couple of days there. I assure you that it will become an unforgettable experience.
Suppose you want to disconnect from everything, enjoy incredible beaches and landscapes, and live in a small town with no traffic and sandy streets. In that case, La Graciosa should be your next destination within the Canary Islands. It’s a dream.
👍WHAT I LIKE MOST ABOUT LA GRACIOSA
- The beaches of crystal clear waters, turquoise blue and wild like few others, along with volcanoes of reddish tones.
- There are no paved roads or cars, just dirt and sand roads. You can and should tour the entire island by bike. The only vehicles circulate some 4×4 vehicles that work as taxis for tourists.
- Caleta de Sebo, the principal inhabited nucleus, is a beautiful town of white houses and sandy streets.
👎 WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT LA GRACIOSA
- Overcrowding in high season. I was lucky enough to visit La Graciosa in October, low season, and hardly any tourists. They say that, during the summer months, as there is no strict regulation of maritime traffic, the island receives more tourism than it should support.
DISCOVER WITH ME THE BEST OF LA GRACIOSA
- What to see and do in La Graciosa in 1 or 2 days
- Catamaran day trip around La Graciosa (from Lanzarote)
- Round trip ferry to La Graciosa (from Lanzarote)
»La Gomera and its fantasy forests
Still don’t know which Canary Island to visit? Well, be careful; curves are coming. I have to admit that La Gomera is one of my favorites. And, if you get to the end of the article, you will discover with which other islands it shares my personal TOP 3. From its maximum height, which reaches the Pico de Garajonay (1,487 meters above sea level), to a rugged coastline with black sand beaches and cliffs, we have an impressive diversity of natural spaces at our disposal.
Laurisilva forests in La Gomera.
But La Gomera cannot be understood without mentioning its most characteristic landscape, the Canarian laurel forests of the Garajonay National Park. It is a type of subtropical forest that currently only survives on the islands of the Macaronesian region. And precisely, La Gomera, specifically the protected area of the Garajonay National Park, preserves one of the best examples of these ancient forests.
If you want to travel to the Canary Islands in search of beaches, you will find them on La Gomera. But, of course, it should not be your main reason for visiting. This small island is wild and full of trails. If you do not intend to put your hiking boots in the suitcase, you may have to make another choice.
👍WHAT I LIKE MOST ABOUT LA GOMERA
- Garajonay, without a doubt. This national park occupies more than 10% of the island’s territory. It offers us dozens of viewpoints and hiking trails of lesser and greater difficulty.
- The impressive viewpoint of Abrante. A glazed balcony with remarkable views over the neighboring island of Tenerife and El Teide.
- The tropical oasis of Valle Hermoso .
- The charm and the beaches of San Sebastián de La Gomera .
- The hippy sunsets of Valle Gran Rey.
👎 WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT LA GOMERA
- Round trip bus tour from Tenerife. Many tourists decide to visit La Gomera from Tenerife by boat in just one day. That makes the best viewpoints remain crowded during the central hours of tourists who are just passing through.
DISCOVER WITH ME THE BEST OF LA GOMERA
- The essential things to do and what to see in La Gomera
- Round trip ferry to La Gomera from Tenerife
- The route through Garajonay, a fairytale forest
- The best viewpoints of La Gomera
»La Palma: volcanoes and stars
Another of these islands that I would never get tired of repeating. I have already gone twice to meet him, and I do not rule out a third. La Palma is the island of volcanoes, laurel forests, peaks that exceed 2,000 meters, the sea of clouds, the best skies for stargazing, panoramic roads with a million curves of Cuban roots. Bananas, rum, salsa, and a million other things. La Palma has almost everything.
Which Canary Island to visit? La Palma is a great option.
In short, La Palma is an island to explore, explore by car, and savor and enjoy a sky full of stars. Beaches?. It has them and some incredible ones, but again I tell you that you have other more suitable islands for sun and beach destinations.
👍WHAT I LIKE MOST ABOUT LA PALMA
- The impressive Caldera de Taburiente, its viewpoints, enter its trails and ascend to the Roque de Los Muchachos at 2426 meters high.
- Incredible hiking trails such as the Ruta de los Volcanes, the Bosque de los Tilos or the Cubo de la Galga.
- Sunset from the Salinas de Fuencaliente .
- We were stargazing on the island with better quality skies.
- Enjoy Canarian architecture in Santa Cruz de La Palma.
- The Teneguía Volcanoes, their lava flows and volcanic cones of super intense colors.
👎 WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT LA PALMA
- Worse accessibility from the peninsula. La Palma has direct air routes from the arm, but there are few options, and flights are more expensive than other islands. It must be booked in advance.
DISCOVER WITH ME THE BEST OF LA PALMA
- 18 unique places to see in La Palma
- What to see in Santa Cruz de La Palma, the Canarian colonial pearl
- The incredible Carnival of Los Indianos de La Palma
»El Hierro, a jewel yet to be discovered
Another of the unknown islands of the archipelago that is very worth visiting. Sometimes, that lack of knowledge makes us miss the true jewels of nature. The ocean has created amazing natural pools in the constant struggle with volcanic rock. We will also find volcanoes of a thousand colors, the already famous thousand-year-old laurel forests, lighthouses lost at the end of the world, and incredible rocky cliffs that die abruptly in the sea.
Natural pools in El Hierro.
But, if the island of El Hierro has become famous for something and is capable of attracting a good number of tourists throughout the year, it is not because of its most visible tourist attractions, but because of its treasure submerged under the sea. I am talking about the incredible biodiversity of the La Restinga Marine Reserve in the middle of Mar de las Palmas. They say that it is one of the best places to dive in Europe and worldwide.
If you want to disconnect from everything, enjoy nature that is still wild and get to know the most surprising island of the Canary Islands in-depth, El Hierro is an unbeatable choice.
👍WHAT I LIKE MOST ABOUT IRON
- Its natural pools are of all sizes, shapes, and colors.
- Laurisilva forests of La Llanía.
- The seabed of La Restinga.
- The impressive cliffs of the Valle del Golfo and the Natural Monument of Las Playas.
- The immense tranquility that is breathed throughout the island. Mass tourism here does not exist. There is hardly any traffic or places crowded with tourists.
👎 WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT IRON
- Access to the island of El Hierro from the mainland requires combining two planes, or a plane and a boat. A price worth paying to enjoy such an authentic and peaceful island.
DISCOVER WITH ME THE BEST OF EL HIERRO
- Ten incredible places to see in El Hierro
- Round trip ferry to El Hierro from Tenerife
- The best beaches and natural pools in El Hierro
- My diving baptism in El Hierro
»Fuerteventura, the island with paradisiacal beaches
It is the quintessential beach destination. It has the best beaches of all the Canary Islands by far. From the shores of El Cotillo and the Dunes of Corralejo with their crystal clear waters of super intense green and blue tones to the wildest beaches of the Jandía Peninsula and those of the islet of Lobos. We are facing the true Canarian paradise—nothing to envy to the shores of the Balearic Islands or the best beaches in the Caribbean.
Beaches of the Dunes of Corralejo.
Fuerteventura is the second-largest island of the Canary Islands. We already know what its incredible coastal perimeter offers us, but what about the interior? An arid, dry, and desert landscape that, at times, transports us far away. And it seems that we have moved to the American Far West. It is essential to visit the beautiful town of Betancuria and a multitude of impressive viewpoints such as the Mirador de las Peñitas, the Mirador de Morro Velosa, or the Mirador Sicasumbre.
Now you know. Beaches, beaches, and more beaches. If you feel like sunbathing and enjoying some of the best beaches in Spain, without a doubt, Fuerteventura should be on your list of the following destinations.
👍WHAT I LIKE MOST ABOUT FUERTEVENTURA
- The Dunes of Corralejo are spectacular. A landscape where sand dominates everything and beaches with crystal clear waters is a temptation that is difficult to resist.
- Emerald and aul turquoise beaches of the most potent and unreal tones you have ever seen scattered throughout the island. From El Cotillo to Morro Jable.
- Cofete beach, kilometers of sand, and gigantic rocky walls.
- Isla de Lobos is a small islet full of attractions.
- A desert interior of the island, with viewpoints and super cool landscapes.
👎 WHAT I LIKE LEAST ABOUT FUERTEVENTURA
- The wind. Yes, that wind characterizes the island of Fuerteventura, and some days can prevent you from enjoying the beaches.
- Kilometer distances. From one end of the island to the other, it can take about two hours by car.
DISCOVER WITH ME THE BEST OF FUERTEVENTURA
- Route through Fuerteventura in 4 days
- The best beaches in Fuerteventura
- What to see on the island of Lobos, the emerald paradise
When is it best to visit the Canary Islands?
This answer is straightforward. All year! Has no one told you that they are the islands of eternal spring? Temperatures are usually very stable, without sudden fluctuations throughout the year. The high season of this archipelago includes the months of July and August. The time between December to April is a busy season.
Conclusion? Any month is good to prepare for the trip. I can tell you that I have traveled to the Canary Islands in summer, spring, autumn, and winter. And, except for one occasion when I had to change my plans due to a big snowstorm on El Teide, I have always had good experiences.
‘ Okay, Rebeca, you haven’t solved my doubts, ‘you’ll think. Which Canary Island to visit? Which one is more worth it? It’s hard to say. Every one of them has its magic. That is something that makes them unique compared to others. But I have decided to get wet. And, if you ask me directly, I will tell you that although I would revisit them all, my favorites are El Hierro, La Palma, and La Gomera.
8 Best Which Canary Island to visit 2022
In addition, it should be noted that, if you plan to visit several islands in a single trip, I recommend you use the Ferryhopper ferry search engine where you can consult all the shipping lines that operate in the archipelago on a single website or the Skyscanner flight search engine to scrutinize the best deals on domestic flights. In this article on how to move between the Canary Islands, you can get more information.
As you can see, in my blog, you have a lot of super detailed articles with the best of each destination and all the information you need to choose which Canary Island is better according to your tastes.
The iron Fuerteventura Gran Canaria
La Gomera the graceful The Palm
If you have additional questions, you can leave me your questions in the comments of this article. You can also check the Canary Islands Tourism website.
Are Canary Islands expensive?
While the seven Canary Islands are fairly affordable destinations, you still have to spend some money to visit. Getting there can be expensive, and of course you’ll have to pay for hotels, car rental, dining and activities.
What language is spoken in the Canary Islands? Canarian Spanish
|Official language in||Spain Canary Islands|
|Regulated by||Real Academia Española, Academia Canaria de la Lengua|
What are the 5 Canary Islands?
- Gran Canaria.
- La Palma.
- La Gomera.
- El Hierro.
What are the 7 main Canary Islands?
- Image of Canary Islands map
- Canary Islands map
- canary islands weather
- canary islands travel
- canary islands destinations
- canary islands, spain
- canary islands names
- canary islands news
- canary islands flag
8 Best Which Canary Island to visit 2022