Where to stay in Lake Tahoe All About California/Nevada 2022
Lake Tahoe is a large freshwater lake in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, straddling the border of California and Nevada. It’s known for its beaches and ski resorts. On the southwest shore, Emerald Bay State Park contains the 1929 Nordic-style mansion Vikingsholm. Along the lake’s northeast side, Lake Tahoe Nevada State Park includes Sand Harbor Beach and Spooner Lake, a gateway to the long-distance Tahoe Rim Trail.
- Surface elevation: 6,225′
- Area: 191.6 mi²
- Length: 21.75 mi
- Width: 11.81 mi
- Volume: 36.15 cubic miles
Almost divided into two identical halves across California and Nevada, Lake Tahoe is one of the most beautiful lakes in the United States. Surrounded by pine forests, snow-capped mountains, and sandy beaches, Lake Tahoe is an adventure playground for travelers worldwide. Lake Tahoe is a more popular destination for domestic travelers than international ones.
There are dozens of small towns, even alpine towns, found on the shores of Lake Tahoe. Should travelers look closely enough, traditional log cabins can be found hidden behind pine trees.
Lake Tahoe is a fantastic place for active travelers. There are many opportunities for adventure here. From kayaking and beach excursions to hiking and swimming – many summer days can be spent exploring the wonders of Lake Tahoe.
Although Lake Tahoe is vertically bisected by the California and Nevada state lines, the lake is generally divided into north and south. Towns like Incline Village and Olympic Valley; to the south, South Lake Tahoe and Carson City. Each village, town, and city offers travelers a different experience.
Let’s take a look at where to stay in Lake Tahoe.
1. South Lake Tahoe
As its name implies, South Lake Tahoe is located on the south side of the lake, within the Californian section of the lake’s perimeter. Located 6,000 feet above sea level, South Lake Tahoe offers beautiful lake views and perfect mountain scenery.
Always buzzing and happening and very well equipped for travelers, South Lake Tahoe is famous for being a great ski resort. Heavenly Mountain is South Lake Tahoe’s most iconic geographic wonder, aside from the lake itself. Adventure travelers often climb Heavenly Mountain for weeks on end, exploring all the snow sports fun they can have.
South Lake Tahoe offers some beautiful hiking trails away from the icy peaks. Van Sickle Bi-State Park has an incredible variety of hiking and equestrian trails. In addition to the abundant nature along the tracks, travelers can also see several historic buildings.
El Dorado Beach is the best place in South Lake Tahoe to sit back and admire the beautiful views.
Suitable For: Active Travelers, Adventure Travelers, Budget Travelers, Budding Historians, Couples, Families, Groups, Nature Photographers, Sports Travelers, Road Travelers
Neighborhood Highlights: Lake Tahoe, Heavenly Mountain, Heavenly Mountain Ski Resort, Van Sickle Bi-State Park, El Dorado Beach, Thomas F Regan Memorial City Beach, Magic Carpet Crazy Golf, Lake Tahoe Historical Society, Marcus Ashley Gallery, Pope Beach, Bijou Bike Park
- The Landing Resort and Spa – The Landing Resort and Spa is a magnificent hotel in South Lake Tahoe. Many rooms offer views of the lake and the snow-capped mountains in the distance. There is an outdoor swimming pool with solarium. Guests are invited to relax in the cozy ski lodge-style lounge.
- Alpenrose Inn – Alpenrose Inn is a beautiful hotel on Pine Boulevard. This local hotel features modern decor and excellent service. Rooms are bright and stylish, each with a different color scheme. Alpenrose Inn offers guests access to its private lakeside beach and BBQ terrace. There is free parking at the hostel.
- The Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe – The Beach Retreat is a perfect choice for families or groups of friends looking to get together in South Lake Tahoe.
- The hotel offers family rooms for up to four people. The King Room option offers lake views which is a bonus. There is free parking.
2. State line
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Lake Tahoe
Just above South Lake Tahoe in the small town of Stateline, It’s no wonder the city of Stateline sits right on the California and Nevada border, yet it does have a Nevada zip code. Stateline is a great place for travelers to stay in Lake Tahoe if they liked the sound of South Lake Tahoe and fancied something a little less touristy.
Home to around 1,000 people, Stateline has a strong sense of community and welcomes travelers year-round. It is home to several resorts and spas. It is a great place to stay in Lake Tahoe if you want something a little more luxurious. In true Nevadan style, there are many casinos here.
Travelers have easy access to Heavenly Mountain and its exciting ski and snowboard run. The Van Sickle Bi-State Park hiking trails are just a hop, skip, and a jump away.
Suitable For: Active Travelers, Adventure Travelers, Couples, Families, Groups, Nature Photographers, Luxury Travelers, Sporty Travelers, Road Travelers
Neighborhood Highlights: Lake Tahoe, Heavenly Mountain, Heavenly Mountain Ski Slopes, Stateline Brewery & Restaurant, Round Mound, East Peak, Monument Peak, Jobs Sister, Genoa Peak, Chart House Seafood Restaurant, The Timbers Casino, Hard Rock Casino
- The Ridge View offers well-appointed apartments for travelers to Stateline, with all the features and conveniences they could need from a hotel. The apartments have great views of Lake Tahoe, and each has its sitting area with a fireplace. There is an outdoor swimming pool and a community barbecue.
- Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Lake Tahoe – Both a hotel and destination in its own right, Hard Rock Hotel & Casino is one of Stateline’s landmarks. During their stay, guests can live like rock stars, playing for fun in the casino, relaxing by the pool, and partying at the iconic Hard Rock Cafe.
- Harrahs Lake Tahoe – Harrahs Lake Tahoe is a good hotel in an ideal Stateline location. Doubling as a 24-hour casino, Harrahs Lake Tahoe is a ton of fun. Guests can play in the casino, party at the VEX nightclub, or book a relaxing treatment at the in-house spa.
3. Carson City
Carson City, the state capital of Nevada, is one of the most popular places to stay in Lake Tahoe. Carson City offers the best aspects of travel and more, an excellent option for travelers seeking a complete experience.
Naturally, the highlight of a trip is exploring Lake Tahoe and its shores.
The beaches along the Carson City strip of Lake Tahoe are exquisite. There are several historical gems to discover within the city itself. The Nevada State Museum is an excellent place – it’s great for kids. The museum houses hundreds of exhibits, including an underground mine, a woolly mammoth skeleton, and a coin press dating back to the 19th century.
Carson City is ideal for traveling families. The Children’s Museum of Northern Nevada is the perfect place to explore with the kids. The museum offers interactive exhibits and learning activities in the arts and sciences.
Suitable For: Active Travelers, Adventure Travelers, Budding Historians, Couples, Culture Vultures, Families, Groups, Nature Lovers, Museum Friends, Road Travelers
6 Best Where to stay in Lake Tahoe All About California/Nevada 2022
Neighborhood Highlights: Lake Tahoe, Children’s Museum of Northern Nevada, Nevada State Museum, Nevada State Railroad Museum, State Capitol Building, Secret Cove, Sand Harbor, Prison Hill, Empire Ranch Golf Course, Carson City Nugget Casino, Brewing Arts Center, Washoe Lake
- Hampton Inn & Suites – With family rooms and king-size suites, the Hampton Inn & Suites has a space for everyone in Carson City. A delicious breakfast is included in all room rates and is a great way to start the day. There is a pool and a gym.
- Wyndham Garden Carson City – Wyndham Garden Carson City, is an excellent hotel in the capital of Nevada. With large suites available and cozy double rooms, Wyndham has a lodging option to fit every budget. Each room has a work desk, a flat-screen TV, and a private bathroom. Free parking is included in the room rate.
- Hardman House – Located in the heart of Carson City, Hardman House is an excellent option for travelers. A continental breakfast is included in the room price and free WiFi. Guests can use the free parking or hire an airport shuttle through the hotel itself.
4. tilt village
Incline Village is the best place to stay in Lake Tahoe for adventure travelers and those who don’t sit still on vacation. Situated on the lake’s northern tip, Incline Village is a picture-perfect town with fewer than 10,000 residents. Incline Village is a little gem with steep slopes adorned with pine trees and often snow.
Perfect for travelers who want to enjoy nature and leave the city’s smoke behind, Incline Village is a rural town that offers easy access to some of the most beautiful scenery in Nevada. Aside from gorgeous Lake Tahoe, there are dozens of incredible sights to discover within a short drive of Incline Village. The Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest is open during all four seasons and is constantly changing. Here, travelers can fish, hike, camp, and of course, engage in winter sports.
Diamond Peak is the jewel of Incline Village. It is a family track with more than 25 tracks.
Suitable For: Active Travelers, Adventure Travelers, Couples, Families, Groups, Nature Lovers, Sporty Travelers, Road Travelers
Neighborhood Highlights: Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest, Diamond Peak, Sand Harbor, Lake Tahoe Nevada State Park, Hidden Beach, Mount Rose Ski Tahoe, Burnt Cedar Beach, Tahoe Rim Trail, Tahoe Meadows South Trailhead, Mount Baldy, Washoe Lake
- Hyatt Residence Club Lake Tahoe – Hyatt Residence Club Lake Tahoe is nothing short of magnificent. Built in a classic alpine resort style, the Hyatt Residence Club offers beautiful rooms and a high comfort level. They offer guests access to the heated outdoor pool and cozy lodge-style lounge with fireplace and pool table.
- Cabin at Club Tahoe – Sleeping up to six people, the Cabin at Club Tahoe is an excellent option for travelers heading to Incline Village. There is a fully equipped kitchen with an oven and microwave. Guests can relax in the outdoor swimming pool or steam sauna. Free parking is available.
- 1238 Styria Way – 1238 Styria Way is a beautiful cabin in Incline Village. Located in a secluded spot that offers mountain views, 1238 Styria Way is a hidden gem. The log cabin is more significant than it looks and can comfortably accommodate up to ten people. There is a Jacuzzi and a swimming pool.
5. Olympic Valley
Olympic Valley is located on the Californian shores of Lake Tahoe and is a famous ski town along Highway 89. Popular with first-time riders and seasoned ski pros, Olympic Valley – often called Squaw Valley – is ideal for sporty travelers.
When the snow has settled in the Olympic Valley, something genuinely magical about the place, not only does it get even more picturesque, but visitors start arriving, and the city comes alive.
Although Olympic Valley is not located right on Lake Tahoe, the water’s edge can be reached in a 15-minute drive. Olympic Valley offers the best of both worlds.
Being a ski town at heart, Olympic Valley is home to beautiful restaurants and bars. There’s nothing better than warming up in a cozy lounge bar for an après-ski. PlumpJack Cafe is one of the company’s favorite hangouts. They serve hearty meals using seasonal California produce and have an excellent wine menu.
Suitable For: Active Travelers, Adventure Travelers, Couples, Families, Foodies, Groups, Nature Lovers, Backcountry Travelers, Sporty Travelers, Road Travelers
Neighborhood Highlights: Squaw Peak, KT-22, Granite Chief, Ward Peak, Scott Peak, Alpine Meadows Ski Resort, Twin Peaks, Scott Peaks, Burton Creek State Park, Mount Watson, Lake Tahoe, Tahoe City
- Resort at Squaw Creek – Resort at Squaw Creek is a fabulous hotel in Olympic Valley. Many of the rooms offer stunning views of the snow-capped mountains. Guests are invited to dine in the house restaurant and enjoy a drink in the bar. There is a swimming pool and an 18 hole golf course.
- The Villa at Squaw Valley – The Villa at Squaw Valley is a fantastic hotel option in Olympic Valley. Ideal for families or groups of friends, the resort offers standard-sized rooms and luxury apartments that can accommodate up to six people. There are eight hot tubs in The Village, plus an outdoor fireside lounge.
- Olympic Village Inn – Olympic Village Inn is a great place to stay in Olympic Valley. A traditional ski resort, the Olympic Village caters to guests’ every need. The spacious one-bedroom suites can sleep up to four people, and each has a fully equipped yet compact kitchen. There is an outdoor pool.
Located just north of the Olympic Valley and just an eight-minute drive from Truckee Tahoe National Airport is the beautiful ski town of Northstar. Like the Olympic Village, Northstar is ideal for sporty travelers who want to hit the slopes while in Lake Tahoe. The water’s edge is just a 15-minute drive from Carnelian Bay, meaning travelers can experience the best Lake Tahoe has to offer.
In addition to picturesque Carnelian Bay, several beautiful lakeside beaches to explore from a base at Northstar The town of Crystal Bay, just an eight-mile drive away, is one of Lake Tahoe’s best-kept secrets.
Northstar is a handy spot for travelers who want to experience both hiking and snow sports, as well as beautiful views of the lake. The Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest is just a stone’s throw away and offers some of the most exciting hiking trails in the Lake Tahoe area.
Suitable For: Active Travelers, Adventure Travelers, Couples, Families, Eaters, Groups, Hikers, Nature Lovers, Backcountry Travelers, Sporty Travelers, Road Travelers
6 Best Where to stay in Lake Tahoe All About California/Nevada 2022
Neighborhood Highlights: Northstar Village Ice Skating Rink, The Village Cinemas, Lake Tahoe, Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest, Carnelian Bay, Crystal Bay, Mount Pluto, Northstar California Resort, Martis Camp, Sawtooth Ridge, Big Chief, Incline Village, Agate Bay
- Northstar Lodge by Welk Resorts – Northstar Lodge by Welk Resorts is a fabulous hotel on Northstar Drive. The lodge has a heated outdoor pool open for guests to use throughout the year. En-suite bathrooms are notable at Northstar Lodge, all featuring a luxurious bathtub, shower unit, and fluffy white towels.
- The Ritz-Carlton Lake Tahoe – The Ritz-Carlton Lake Tahoe is one of the most luxurious hotels in the Lake Tahoe area, not just Northstar. The Ritz-Carlton offers first-class hospitality and unparalleled style. All rooms are en-suite with marble baths and a cozy seating area.
- Northstar California Resort – Northstar California Resort is a great mid-range lodging option in Northstar. It is a family destination that offers a recreation center and is especially good for children. There are swimming pools, tennis courts, in-house restaurants, a video arcade, and a luxurious spa complex.
Why is Lake Tahoe so special?
Lake Tahoe is unique in that it is endorheic basin. … Lake Tahoe is one of the purest water lakes in the world, with the water coming in at 99.994% pure (this is close to distilled water that is 99.998% pure). Lake Tahoe ranks amongst the world’s 20 oldest lakes.
Is Lake Tahoe expensive?
Cost of a Trip to Lake Tahoe, CA, US & the Cheapest Time to Visit Lake Tahoe. The average price of a 7-day trip to Lake Tahoe is $2,099 for a solo traveler, $3,770 for a couple, and $7,067 for a family of 4.
Are there bodies in Lake Tahoe?
Locals have said that there is a section of the lake near the South Lake casinos called “The Grave” and if you were to take a submarine down to the bottom you would find hundreds of bodies wearing clothes from the the early to mid-1900’s.
Is Lake Tahoe safe to swim in?
Here’s an oft-asked question: Can you swim in Lake Tahoe? The answer is yes, especially if cool/cold water is your thing! And, if you look at all the water sports outfitters and popular beaches in the area, it’s clear that it’s absolutely a preferred thing to do in Tahoe for a lot of people.
- lake tahoe resorts
- lake tahoe weather
- lake tahoe hotels
- lake tahoe winter
- lake tahoe skiing
- south lake tahoe
- lake tahoe news
- lake tahoe cabins
6 Best Where to stay in Lake Tahoe All About California/Nevada 2022